What Course of Action Should You Take to Obtain Insurance After Moving? – Health Scout Insurance

The Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is a time-sensitive opportunity anyone can take advantage of if they seriously want to get health insurance. The process is quick, straightforward and will take about five minutes to complete. Besides, it can be done in a variety of ways you find most  convenient. You can do it online, via phone call or in-person at a designated enrollment hub!

So, if you just moved into your new home’s voting district, then congratulations because this qualifies as a “Qualified Life Event” or “QLE.” This automatically initiates the SEP, which takes away from the equation the need for filling out any complicated forms. 

Thus, it is much easier than ever before, so make sure not to miss out on receiving quality care at affordable premiums through Marketplace plans offered exclusively through the Affordable Care Act, or “ACA”.

Here’s additional information on how to acquire health insurance after relocating, or moving from one address to another.

How Can Relocating Make You Qualify for a “Qualifying Life Event”?

Changes in place of residence are considered as one of the “Qualifying Life Events” or (QLE) for Special Enrollment Periods (SEP). Relocating to another county or ZIP code is a good example of such a change.

If your health insurance provider will not honor or refuses to cover your move or relocation as a Qualifying Life Event, then we encourage you to obtain the free guide we offer. 

Such a QLE entitles you to sign up for your own Affordable Care Act-compliant Obamacare plan. And you can obtain this through the Marketplace.

If you happen not to have health insurance before the move or transfer of place of residence, you will not be considered for a QLE. Otherwise, you are indeed entitled to it. 

What to Expect During the Special Enrollment Period?

Even when you are allowed to sign up for health insurance via the Marketplace only once via the annual Open Enrollment Period, it will never be absolute because there are exceptions, too. A Qualifying Life Event, such as a move or a transfer of the place of residence, may allow you to enroll for insurance during a Special Enrollment Period. It could also be extended, but for a limited time only. 

To validate your QLE, you may be required to verify your eligibility and provide specific supporting papers to back it up. To verify your change of address following a move or relocation, you may be asked to submit a utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage or other relevant documents that will help in validating change of address. 

Also, you may be required to submit proof of any past health insurance coverage, such as communication letters from your previous employer or health insurance provider. 

Soon after your QLE is verified, you can right away shop the Marketplace in the same manner as you did during the Open Enrollment Period. You may, for example, compare offered rates and plans. You can also determine if you are entitled to tax breaks or tax credits. 

Soon after your QLE is verified, you can right away shop the Marketplace in the same manner as you did during the Open Enrollment Period. You may, for example, compare offered rates and plans. In addition, you can also determine if you are entitled to some tax breaks or tax credits. 

Always remind yourself that you only have 60 days from your QLE to complete your SEP. If you have not registered for Marketplace insurance during your SEP, there is no other way but to wait until the next Open Enrollment Period to do so.

Is There Another Option for Medical Insurance?

If you’re having difficulty finding economical health insurance on the open market, we propose that you register for COBRA coverage. It’s an option for employees who lost their job-based insurance plans. Besides, it is also a sound alternative to consider if your current insurance provider will not honor or deny your recent relocation or change of address as a “Qualifying Life Event” (QLE). 

You need to have a “qualifying event” though, so that you can be entitled to COBRA continuation coverage. When you lose your health insurance following a relocation or movement of the place of residence, that also lays the groundwork for you to lose any benefits enjoyed from previous employment, which was disrupted by your transfer. Thus, it is a change of household status that is a prerequisite for COBRA coverage, a qualifying event. 

By paying 100% of the premiums plus a modest administration fee, COBRA health insurance allows you to maintain your coverage for 18 months after the qualifying event. As a result, your monthly payment will increase since your employer no longer pays any portion of your monthly cost.

A lot of people prefer COBRA health insurance since it assures them that they have adequate coverage while making it possible for them to focus their attention on other aspects of their lives. COBRA coverage, on the other hand, is far more expensive than coverage offered via the Marketplace for the majority of consumers.

Medicaid Health Insurance

You may potentially benefit from Medicaid health insurance following your move, depending on the level of your income. Medicaid is a federal-state partnership program that offers health insurance coverage to Americans with limited means. The entitlement for it is determined by the individual’s income. Medicaid is available to adults, children, pregnant women, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.

Each state establishes and manages its own Medicaid program, autonomously determining the scope of its services. This is based on a comprehensive collection of government regulations. There are no age restrictions on who is eligible for Medicaid but is open to everyone.

Medicaid programs are created and managed by each state independently, with the extent of services they cover varying from state to state. This is based on a wide range of federal and state laws.

Under federal law, all Medicaid programs must provide certain “mandatory benefits.” These benefits include inpatient and outpatient hospital services, nursing facility services, home health services, physician services, and laboratory and x-ray services.

Services like family planning, nurse midwifery, certified pediatric and family nurse practitioners and freestanding birth centers (when already licensed and recognized by the state) are also mandatory. 

Article Source

Similar Posts